Friday, September 23, 2011

All About Apples Part 1: Homemade Applesauce

Happy first day of fall everyone! I don't know about you, but I LOVE fall! It's tied with winter for my favorite season. Mmmm, leaves, hot chocolate, cozy fires, pumpkins, let's not forget the cute clothes....and of course, delicious apples! I eat apples year round, but they are the best in the fall; so crisp and sweet! :)

This is going to be a three-part post on apples, because I think they are a great representation of fall cooking. The first is a Homemade Applesauce recipe I received from my friend and fellow baker, Nikki. 
She is a fabulous cook, so I always trust her recommends in the recipe department. And she's done it again! This is a wonderful treat! And for those of you with little ones, it's a great alternative to the "preservative-filled" store bought kind.

I'll be posting two more recipes in the next couple days that pair VERY well with the applesauce, so please come visit me again!

Hope everyone enjoys! If you have any apple recipes you'd like to share, please comment below:

Homemade Applesauce:
Gather up your ingredients: cinnamon, sugar, lemons, water, and apples. (could this be any easier??)


Peel, core and chop all apples. Do you like my super duper apple peeler?? Changed my life.


Put them in your crock pot and add the lemon juice. Toss until the apples are coated and add the sugar and cinnamon:


Pour your water in the crock pot and mix it all together. Turn on the crock pot and cook on either high for 5 hours or low for eight hours.


Oh, and did I mention that this will make your house smell like a spicy fall wonderland??? Love!


Homemade Crockpot Applesauce:

5 medium Gala apples, peeled, cored, quartered, and chopped
2 medium Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, quartered, and chopped
2 medium Honey Crisp apples peeled, cored, quartered, and chopped
Fresh Lemon Juice – I juiced two lemons
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup water.

Peel, slice, and chop all apples. When that’s done, place all of the apple pieces in the crock pot, pour the fresh lemon juice over them and toss them until they are coated.

Add in the sugar and cinnamon. Pour water in the crock pot, and mix together.

Turn on the crock pot and cook: either on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
Enjoy your applesauce!!

Note: They don't sell Honey Crisp apples at my grocery store, so I used Fuji (my favorite!!) instead. And since I don't like tart apples much, I substituted one of the Granny Smith for a Fuji as well. So I ended up with 5 Gala, 1 Granny Smith, and 3 Fuji. Also, this applesauce does taste a little tart if you follow the recipe exactly, so I added a little extra sugar. Worked like a charm!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment