Saturday, September 24, 2011

All About Apples Part 2: Baked Oatmeal

What pairs wonderfully with homemade applesauce??? Answer? Baked Oatmeal! Now, I'm not usually a fan of oatmeal, but this stuff tastes more like dessert than breakfast! Nom nom, I will never go back to the instant oatmeal again! And, as with the applesauce, this is a great alternative to more processed oatmeals that you find in stores.  This is a recipe also given to me by Nikki. I'm tellin' ya, she never fails me in the kitchen department. :) For those of you who have rushed mornings and always forget to eat breakfast or run out of time (*I'm raising my hand*), this is the perfect alternative for YOU. This is a very fast recipe! In fact, I made this the other morning as I was getting ready for work. It  was done by the time I left, hot and delish! 

Try it out and let me know what you think! :)

Ingredients needed: oats, brown sugar, milk, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, unsalted butter, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla. (I added nutmeg...cuz I can!)


Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separate. Once that is complete, combine the two in a bowl and mix together.


Butter an 8x8 dish and pour in mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!




Baked Oatmeal

2 cups uncooked old fashioned oats
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon (I like a lot!)
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup each of raisins and dried cranberries (I left these out)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ cups milk
½ cup applesauce
1 ½ tablespoons butter, melted
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preaheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl an combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir well.

Pour the whole thing into an 8 inch square baking dish and bake 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. 

Serve and enjoy!

Note: I added some nutmeg. I didn't measure exactly but I would guess it was about 1/4 tsp. I also poured some extra applesauce over the top and heated it up, and it was the best brekkie I've ever had! No joke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment